Solving big tax problems for small business owners!



I am an enrolled agent, also known as an “EA.”  An Enrolled Agent, (or EA) is different from a CPA.  

The distinction between the two designations is very important, since my specialty is federal taxation and tax accounting. I have chosen to become a Federally Authorized Tax Practitioner and earn the enrolled agent license from the US Department of the Treasury because it does not limit the geographic area in which I may practice. In other words, I can work with clients in any of the 50 United States (or its territories), unlike a CPA (certified public accountant), who has a license that is state specific. 

I have included some information for your review that explains what an enrolled agent is. A CPA is tested by the state in which he/she resides and has been found to be proficient in a broad range of accounting areas. To become an EA, you have to pass a background check and a stringent three-part exam, or have relevant experience as a former IRS employee. This is why EAs are referred to as “America’s tax experts.”

The federal government regulates enrolled agents, while CPAs and attorneys are regulated by the states. To maintain their IRS accreditation, EAs must stay up-to-date on the latest changes to the tax code by completing annual continuing professional education. They are unique in that they are the only group of tax professionals who report their continuing professional education hours directly to the IRS.

If you have any further questions or need additional information concerning the professional designation of an enrolled agent, please do not hesitate to call. I will be more than happy to discuss this topic with you at any time.